David Chandler: Tributes to Carlsberg worker killed after ammonia leak

David Chandler Image copyright Northamptonshire Police
Image caption David Chandler was working at the plant in Northampton on 9 November when the leak happened

The family of a brewery worker who died after an ammonia leak have paid tribute to the father-of-two who "always had a smile on his face".

David Chandler, 45, of Bridgnorth in Shropshire, was working at the Carlsberg plant in Northampton on 9 November when the leak happened.

Post-mortem tests found Mr Chandler's death was caused by inhaling ammonia.

His family said in a statement Mr Chandler was a "happy person" and "always happy to help others".

Image copyright Geograph/Oast House Archive
Image caption The emergency services said the gas leak was confined to the Carlsberg brewery site in Northampton

Mr Chandler leaves behind a wife, two daughters aged one and five, two sisters and his father.

The statement added that Mr Chandler "was a really lovely, happy family man, with a beautiful family. He was always happy, funny and bright".

Fifty firefighters were called to the factory to deal with the leak and 22 people needed hospital treatment.

After the incident, Julian Momen, chief executive officer of Carlsberg UK, said: "We are deeply, deeply saddened by today's tragic incident and subsequent fatality.

"Our immediate thoughts are with the individual's family, friends and colleagues at this very difficult time and we will support them in every way we can."

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites