Caffeine death sparks alert by Nottinghamshire coroner

  • Published

A coroner has warned of the dangers of taking high doses of caffeine following the death of a Nottinghamshire man.

Michael Bedford, 23, from Forest Town, Mansfield, died in hospital from toxic caffeine poisoning on 9 April.

An inquest heard he had taken two teaspoons of caffeine powder, bought legally from the internet, at a party.

It is recommended that no more than a sixteenth of a teaspoon is consumed. Coroner Dr Nigel Chapman recorded a verdict of accidental death.

'Tragic accident'

Four of Mr Bedford's friends described how they had been at a party together. One said he had seen him take spoonfuls of white powder and wash it down with an energy drink.

Shortly after they said he became ill, vomited, began slurring his words before he collapsed.

He was taken to the King's Mill Hospital where he later died.

The coroner said the level of caffeine Mr Bedford had taken was 70 times more than usually found in a high energy drink.

In recording his verdict Dr Chapman said: "This should serve as a warning that caffeine is so freely available on the internet but so lethal if the wrong dosage is taken.

"It is a tragic accident, not suspicious - he wasn't doing anything wrong, it was just the danger of the dose he took.

"He's left a huge hole in all of your lives from taking something so freely available on the internet."

Around the BBC

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.