Oxford

Oxford flat fire man taken to hospital

A man was taken to hospital after inhaling a serious amount of smoke when fire broke out in his Oxford home.

Crews were called to Southfield Road on Thursday at 2250 GMT when they found the man outside the door of his top floor flat.

The lounge of the property was badly damaged by the fire, which is believed to have been caused by combustible materials left near a fan heater.

The rest of the property was smoke damaged.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue said the man was given oxygen before being taken away in an ambulance.

A spokesman said he was "very lucky to escape" and warned people to fit smoke alarms in their homes.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites