Oxford

Pair rescued above burning cafe in Banbury

Two people had to be rescued from a flat in Oxfordshire after fire broke out in a cafe two floors below.

The man and woman were trapped in the building in Market Place, Banbury, when the blaze took hold in the early hours.

Crews, who were called shortly after 03:15 BST, pitched a ladder to the bedroom window of the property and led the pair to safety.

The fire in the cafe is believed to have been caused by a faulty electrical appliance.

Firefighters said the pair had been woken by a smoke alarm.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites