Oxford

Three inhale toxic gas at Oxford's St John's College

Three people in an Oxford student block required treatment after inhaling toxic chemicals from a faulty fridge, the fire service has said.

Twenty firefighters were called to St John's College where the appliance was leaking ammonia early on Thursday.

Other students in the building were checked over while crews using breathing apparatus removed the fridge.

Ammonia is a colourless, toxic gas which is used as a coolant in fridges.

Station manager Simon Belcher, of Oxfordshire's Fire Service, said: "If you suspect that your fridge is leaking ammonia, you can tell this by the pungent smell, then get out and call the fire service out, don't take any risks. "

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites