Oxford

Used fireworks set Banbury garage alight

A firework used in a private garden display caused a blaze in the garage of a house in Oxfordshire.

Fire crews were called to Woburn Close, Banbury, at 23:00 BST on Saturday after boxes of used fireworks put back into the garage had set it alight.

They feared a barbecue gas cylinder in the garage may explode and evacuated the area near the detached garage. Neighbours were told to stay indoors.

Firefighters in breathing apparatus put out the fire and nobody was hurt.

'Could have exploded'

Andy Ford, incident commander watch manager, said: "Fireworks are explosives and burn at very high temperatures.

"Even used fireworks can be very dangerous and should be left in a safe place or put in a bucket of water after use.

"Two problems we were faced with in the garage that could have been very dangerous to us were the fireworks and the barbecue gas cylinder, both of which could have exploded in the fire.

"It was very helpful to us that the resident alerted us to these hazards in the garage as we could take appropriate action and ensure the safety of the public and our firefighters."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites