Oxford

Firefighters rescue man from Oxford flat fire

A man was rescued by firefighters after a blaze broke out at his Oxford home.

About 20 firefighters were called out to tackle the blaze after neighbours who heard a smoke alarm go off in the property in Champion Way dialled 999.

A 47-year-old man was rescued from the ground floor flat and left in the care of paramedics. It is not yet known if he was injured.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said the blaze started in the kitchen after cooking was left unattended.

Incident commander Gary Dawson said: "Without working smoke alarms, the alarm would not have been raised as quickly and the incident would have been more serious."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites