Fire in block of flats in Whitchurch was arson
A fire on a communal landing of a block of flats in Shropshire is thought to have been started deliberately.
Rubbish, which had been on the landing for several weeks at flats in Castle Court, Whitchurch, was set on fire between 0330 BST and 0400 BST.
A resident was alerted after hearing noise and warned other residents and called Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service, police said.
Police said it was fortunate no-one was injured in the incident.
West Mercia Police are appealing for witnesses to come forward.
"Fortunately, no-one was hurt in this incident. However, it could have resulted in residents being trapped or overcome by fumes," said a police spokesman.
"The fire is being treated as arson and we would welcome any information which might assist the investigation."