Shropshire campsite death: Brother of dead girl 'stable'

Bucknell campsite
Image caption Other members of the family became concerned when nobody in the family's tent awoke on Sunday

The 11-year-old brother of a teenage girl who died at a Shropshire campsite has been described by police as "stable but still unwell" in hospital.

His sister, who it is thought suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning, was confirmed dead at the scene at the Baron at Bucknell campsite on Sunday.

Her mother and step-father, who were taken to the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital, are in a "comfortable condition".

West Mercia Police are not treating the death as suspicious.

All four members of the family were found unconscious inside their tent just before 10:00 BST.

Police officers were called to the campsite by ambulance crews who tried to revive the girl.

Disposable barbecue

A spokeswoman from West Midlands Ambulance service said the boy was airlifted to hospital for emergency treatment.

Det Insp Gavin Kinrade said police would not have "any long term involvement" with the investigation but were continuing to work with Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service.

Phil and Debra Wright, who own the Baron at Bucknell pub and its adjacent campsite, said they had seen a disposable barbecue in the porch of the family's tent.

Mr Wright said the family was part of a larger group made up of the mother's two sisters and their respective partners and children, staying in a number of tents on the site.

He said the group had become concerned when nobody in the family's tent awoke on Sunday morning.

He added: "Nobody has done anything wrong, they have just not realised the dangers of disposable barbecues.

"You don't realise that they are giving off fumes for hours and hours after you have used them."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites