Dalian Atkinson: Tasered footballer given CPR for 35 minutes

Dalian Atkinson in his Ipswich Town kit Image copyright Ipswich Town
Image caption Atkinson started his career at Ipswich Town, before moving to Sheffield Wednesday, Real Sociedad, Aston Villa and Fenerbahçe

Doctors battled in vain for 35 minutes to save ex-footballer Dalian Atkinson after he was Tasered by police, the inquest into his death has heard.

He died 90 minutes after the weapon was used by police in Telford on 15 August.

The 48-year-old former Aston Villa, Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich striker went into cardiac arrest on his way to hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The inquest was adjourned to 22 November after post-mortem tests failed to establish the cause of death.

Coroner's officer Julie Hartridge told the inquest at Shirehall in Shrewsbury medics at the Princess Royal Hospital in Telford gave CPR to the retired striker for more than half an hour.

Image copyright PA
Image caption Police were called to Meadow Close in Telford in the early hours of 15 August

A post-mortem examination carried out by Home Office pathologist Dr Olaf Biedrzycki on 17 August concluded the cause of death was "to be advised, pending further investigation".

Mr Atkinson's body was identified to an Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) investigator by his brother two days later, added Ms Hartridge.

The death is being investigated by the IPCC, which said it would carry out "a full and thorough" inquiry.

Two police officers with the West Mercia force were suspended pending a criminal investigation into Mr Atkinson's death.

Last Thursday, the IPCC announced the officers were "under criminal investigation" and that as part of its inquiry the officers had also been served with gross misconduct notices.

Coroner John Ellery adjourned the inquest for three months saying: "It is subject to review pending completion of the IPCC investigation, which I am told will take nine months."

Image copyright Reuters
Image caption Aston Villa paid tribute to Atkinson at their first match after his death

Mr Atkinson was a top-flight striker in the 1990s, starting his career at Ipswich before playing for Sheffield Wednesday, Spanish side Real Sociedad and Aston Villa.

He scored 23 goals in 85 appearances for the Birmingham side between 1991 and 1995 and is best remembered for the Match of the Day goal of the season in the 1992-93 campaign - the inaugural Premier League season.

Memorably, the Villa star dribbled the ball from inside his own half before chipping the Wimbledon keeper from the edge of the area.

Image copyright Tony Harris
Image caption Dalian Atkinson is pictured with then club manager Ron Atkinson after Villa's 3-1 defeat of Manchester United in the 1994 League Cup final

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites