Shop basement gas leak closes Wells road
Part of Wells in Somerset was closed off earlier due to a gas leak in a shop basement.
Crews from Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service were called to the premises in Sadler Street at about 0940 GMT.
They found the basement full of gas, and smoke coming out of a manhole cover in the street.
Police closed the road and evacuated the premises. The road has since reopened.
A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said the mains gas leak was caused by underground cabling overheating.
Gas and electricity engineers isolated the supplies and fire crews dug up the road to expose the cables and a gas pipe for work to be carried out.
The spokesman said an inspection was carried out and the cordon had been lifted.