Listeria found in sausages in Doncaster
Polish sausages contaminated with the potentially deadly listeria food poisoning bug have been on sale in Doncaster, residents have been warned.
The council said its food enforcement team had removed affected items from local delis and shops.
A number of contaminated products were found, some with levels of listeria up to 600 times the legal limit.
The products in question are Home Black Pudding Sausage or Grill Black Pudding Sausage produced by Sokolow in Poland.
Anyone who has bought these products is advised to dispose of them or return them to the shop.
A council spokesman said: "The sausage implicated in the Doncaster investigation is cooked and although many will cook it again, which should kill the organism, it is often eaten cold straight from the pack."
Imported 'in good faith'
The contamination was first discovered by Bolsover District Council in Derbyshire during routine checks on a shop.
The affected produce was traced back to a supplier in Doncaster where the council's food enforcement team stepped in and took further samples at various suppliers in the borough.
Cynthia Ransome, the council's cabinet member for neighbourhoods and customer services, said: "Doncaster has a small number of Polish food importers who have unknowingly imported contaminated products.
"There is no suggestion that they have not acted in good faith.
"Anyone who has purchased this product should either dispose of it or return it to the retailer.
"I would like to pay tribute to the speedy actions of council employees in dealing with this threat to public health."
The council said there had been no reported cases of anyone falling ill in Doncaster as a result of eating the contaminated sausages.