Gas fitter convicted after man overcome by fumes

  • Published

A gas fitter has been jailed for five years for the manslaughter of a man who died after being overcome by carbon monoxide fumes in his home.

James Charlton, 31, of Hilltop View, Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, was convicted by a jury at Sheffield Crown Court on Thursday.

Probation officer Mark Ellis, 41, died at his home in Dodworth, near Barnsley.

It was found that Charlton had left a gap in a flue pipe when fitting a new boiler at the property.

Charlton was convicted on Thursday of manslaughter by gross negligence.

The incident happened in February 2008.

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.