Sheffield & South Yorkshire

'Child with lighter' started Barnsley pub fire

Fire service tackling fire at the Potters Wheel. Pic South Yorkshire fire service
Image caption About 20 firefighters had to tackle the pub fire at its height

A blaze at a Barnsley pub is believed to have been started accidentally by a young child playing with a lighter, the fire service has said.

Crews were called to the Potters Wheel pub, in Clough Field Road, at about 0900 GMT on Sunday.

The fire service said the blaze had started in a bedroom before spreading to the roof and had required about 20 firefighters to tackle it.

The fire was put out by about 1300 GMT. No-one was injured in the incident.

A pet dog trapped inside the property was also safely rescued.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites