Sheffield & South Yorkshire

Police 'fully investigated' Sheffield teenager stabbing

Complaints about a police investigation into the stabbing of a teenager in Sheffield have been rejected by an independent inquiry.

Tarek Chaiboub, 17, was stabbed seven times in July 2008. Five days later, he was fatally shot.

His father Rashid Chaiboub claimed South Yorkshire Police had failed to properly investigate the stabbing.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said officers had worked "diligently" on the case.

Gang culture

The IPCC found that because Tarek was involved with local gangs, he was unwilling to co-operate with the police investigation.

IPCC Commissioner Nicholas Long said: "The fact that Tarek was associated with this gang culture may have influenced his response to police questioning when he was stabbed.

"It is clear he and his friends did not co-operate or assist the police investigation."

Mr Chaiboub, from the Wincobank area, was attacked near his home in the early hours of Sunday 6 July.

His father called the emergency services, but despite repeated police questioning Tarek was unable to give them any information about his attackers.

Mr Long admitted that, in hindsight, some lines of inquiry could have "been pursued more vigorously".

'Sense of despair'

But he said the short space of time between the stabbing and Mr Chaiboub's murder and his unwillingness to co-operate meant the shooting probably could not have been avoided.

"My sympathies go out again to Tarek's father and his family," Mr Long added.

"He tried to do the best for his son and his sense of despair at what Tarek had become involved in was evident."

Four gang members were jailed for life for the murder of Mr Chaiboub, which happened outside a barber shop in Burngreave on 11 July 2008.

One of them, Nigel Ramsey, was found to have ordered the fatal shooting from prison.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites