Sheffield & South Yorkshire

Sheffield landlord fined £17,000 over boiler gas safety

A landlord has been fined £17,000 after admitting endangering the lives of a family in one of her properties.

Sima Yaqub, of Crescent Road, Sheffield, pleaded guilty at Sheffield Magistrates Court to five offences under the Gas Safety Regulations 1998.

When the family moved into the property in City Road last July, Yaqub did not have a Landlord's Gas Safety Record for the boiler.

Yaqub was also ordered to pay costs of £6,916.

After the original boiler in the home had broken down several times, Yaqub replaced it with a used one installed by unregistered fitter, magistrates heard.

The replacement was deemed as "immediately dangerous" when seen by a qualified engineer.

The Health and Safety Executive said landlords had "clear duties" to ensure the safety of their tenants.

HSE Inspector Denise Fotheringham said Yaqub had "shown a wilful and consistent disregard for the welfare and safety of the tenant and her family".

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites