Stoke & Staffordshire

Man dies after cigarette accident in Staffordshire

An 83-year-old man who suffered burns after accidentally setting fire to himself with a cigarette, has died.

Firefighters went to Hough Hill, Brown Edge, Staffordshire, early on Friday.

The man was smoking in his kitchen when he accidentally dropped the cigarette onto his pyjamas, which then caught alight, the fire service said.

He had suffered about 70% burns and was taken to the University Hospital of North Staffordshire where he died on Saturday.

Assistant Area Commander for Stoke-on-Trent, Glynn Luznyj, said: "We'd actually visited this gentleman and provided him with the necessary fire protection.

"However, as this incident has highlighted, cigarettes can very quickly catch alight to clothing and bedding, with tragic consequences."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites