Stoke & Staffordshire

Sunlight off mirror starts Leek house fire

A Staffordshire family escaped from a fire at their home caused by sunlight being reflected off a mirror.

Staffordshire fire service was called to the property in Cromwell Terrace, Leek around 18:00 BST on Sunday.

Station manager Carl Mason said: "A magnified mirror had reflected sunlight onto curtains which eventually caught fire."

The family of four was already outside the house by the time the two crews arrived.

Mr Mason added: "The cause of the fire is a little bizarre but not unheard of.

"The fire spread to nearby bedding and furniture however firefighters extinguished it before it could do much serious damage.

"This is an unpredictable type of incident but by making sure they had working smoke alarms this family escaped harm and their home is also relatively unscathed."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites