Suffolk heart attack trial given go ahead
A trial testing new treatment for heart attack patients in east Suffolk has been given approval to become permanent.
During the three month pilot severe heart attack patients were given "clot-busting" treatment, then taken to units in Cambridge, Norwich and Basildon.
There were fears the extended journey time could prove fatal for patients.
But earlier on Monday a medical review team said the pilot was working and should become permanent.
People in west Suffolk already have this service.
A patient survey from patients in east Suffolk saw the majority rate their care as excellent or good, the panel said.
Dr Jim McLenachan, a consultant cardiologist at Leeds General Infirmary and a member of the review team, said: "The study has shown very low death rates.
"The travel times from east Suffolk are longer than for other parts of the country but there was nothing to suggest that this affected patient outcome."