Three adjoining thatched cottages are on fire in a village in Suffolk.
More than 30 firefighters from two counties were called to Withermarsh Green at Stoke By Nayland, near the border with Essex, at about 1400 GMT.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said the fire appeared to have started in a chimney in one of the terraced houses.
There are no reports of anyone being injured. Fire crews have been stripping away the thatch and salvaging what they can, a spokesman added.
Eye witnesses said the roof of one cottage seemed close to collapse.
At 1520 GMT the fire service said it had salvaged furniture and the fire was contained in the first floor and roof areas of the properties.
Police had also closed local roads.
By 1640 GMT the fire service said good progress was being made containing the spread of the fire but a roof collapse had occurred.