Suffolk

Suffolk shooting arrest man 'was on bail'

Police cordon at Willow Park
Image caption A police cordon has been set up near the entrance to Willow Park

A man arrested after two men were shot at a travellers' site in Suffolk was already on bail after an earlier shooting there, the BBC has learnt.

The victims, both from Essex, were found dead at Willow Park in Beck Row, near Mildenhall, on Tuesday night.

One of the bodies was discovered in a burning car.

A 38-year-old man was arrested on Wednesday on suspicion of murder. He has now been bailed to return to a police station in Suffolk on 29 April.

Police said post-mortem examinations confirmed both victims died from gunshot wounds.

Their families have been contacted by police but formal identification is not expected to take place for several days, a spokesman said.

'Ongoing dispute'

Ch Supt Stewart Gull said armed officers were patrolling the area.

"We believe the deaths are connected to an ongoing dispute," he said.

"We will be looking to establish whether there is any correlation between these shootings and the previous incident."

Mr Gull said no-one else was hurt in the latest incident and no weapon had been found.

On Wednesday the Prime Minister was asked about the case in the House of Commons by Matthew Hancock, Conservative MP for West Suffolk.

David Cameron said: "I think the police will want to do everything they can to get to the bottom of this dreadful crime and to bring the perpetrators to justice."

Mr Hancock later told the BBC: "There have been a number of reported incidents, not specifically on the site but in the area, that some of the local people are concerned are connected with the site.

"As well as the shootings there have been lots of low-level incidents of crime and anti-social behaviour."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites