Bury St Edmunds and Ipswich jewellers gang jailed

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionThe judge described the five-man gang's robberies as carefully planned and violent

Five men have been jailed for an attempted armed robbery at a jewellers in Suffolk, which was foiled by two members of the public.

The raid was at Thurlow Champness in Bury St Edmunds in February last year.

Three of the gang were sentenced to six years each at Ipswich Crown Court for conspiracy to commit robbery.

Two of the gang were given nine years for that raid and for their involvement in stealing £80,000 of watches from an Ipswich jewellers in June last year.

The attempted robbery at the shop on Abbeygate Street in Bury St Edmunds involved four of the gang using sledgehammers and they left with £20,000 of jewellery.

However, Michael Graver, 70, and Mark Baker, 30, confronted the gang outside and were also threatened with sledgehammers.

'Planned and violent'

The pair managed to grab the bag of stolen items before the robbers, who were all from London, left the scene.

Dean Armstrong, 21, and George Paget, 20, had already pleaded guilty to both robberies and were jailed for nine years each.

Charlie Kavanagh, 21, and Jed McDonald, 22, who had also already pleaded guilty, were jailed for six years each.

Dwayne Marsh, 34, was found guilty of conspiracy to commit robbery in May 2012 and has been jailed for six years.

Judge David Goodin told the court the Bury St Edmunds raid was "carefully planned and violent".

Mr Graver, speaking at the time of the raid, said: "I've never done this before and, believe me, I'm not the sort of person who would go looking for trouble in any way, shape or form.

"I suppose you would say it's out of character."

The judge said the two members of the public would get £500 rewards for their actions.

Speaking after the court hearing, Det Insp David Giles said: "The recovery of the stolen items was pure chance as who was walking past at the time."

Three other men were jailed in February for between nine and 11 years for their part in the Ipswich robbery at Goldsmiths on Tavern Street.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites