Claudia Schiffer house fire: Hot ashes probable cause

Claudia Schiffer at the Suffolk Show
Image caption Claudia Schiffer was believed to have been at home at the time of the blaze with her husband Matthew Vaughn

A fire at supermodel Claudia Schiffer's 16th Century country home that razed several buildings was likely caused by hot ashes, Suffolk Fire Service said.

About 40 firefighters spent two hours at Coldham Hall, Lawshall, on Bank Holiday Monday tackling the blaze.

A spokesman said the fire started in an outbuilding "accidentally, most likely through the disposal of hot ashes that ignited nearby flammable materials".

It is believed Schiffer and her husband Matthew Vaughn were home at the time.

Despite several outbuildings and former stables being destroyed, the fire did not spread to the hall and no-one was injured, the spokesman added.

Image copyright Google
Image caption Coldham Hall's main gates are in Lawshall near Bury St Edmunds

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites