Lowestoft mother Denise Davies 'died after care failures'

Denise Davies Image copyright Other
Image caption Mother-of-two Denise Davies, 45, of Lowestoft, had been the registered carer for her husband for three years

A mother who died in hospital after becoming dehydrated at a mental health unit suffered "gross" failures in her care, her inquest has been told.

Denise Davies, 45, of Lowestoft, died after being admitted to the Carlton Court mental health unit in the Suffolk town.

Her family's solicitor John Coughlin told the inquest in Norwich there had been "systemic failures".

Both the mental health trust and hospital say lessons have been learnt.

Image caption Mrs Davies became profoundly dehydrated while being cared for at the Carlton Court mental health unit in Lowestoft

The inquest heard that after becoming profoundly dehydrated at the mental health unit the mother-of-two was transferred to the James Paget Hospital in Gorleston, where she died in June 2013.

The inquest heard Mrs Davies, who had been her husband's registered carer for three years, had a 10-year history of depression.

Mrs Davies was admitted to Carlton Court, which is run by the Norfolk and Suffolk Foundation Trust, after threatening to injure herself.

Her husband Mark told the inquest in Norwich he was concerned she was not eating or drinking, and when asked to leave her, Mr Davies said her last words to him were: "Please don't go."

Image copyright Other
Image caption Mrs Davies' husband Mark said he was concerned about her care at Carlton Court

He said he later had a call saying his wife was being transferred to the hospital because she was "profoundly dehydrated".

Mr Davies said he was told to "butt out" of her care plan.

When he went to see her the next day he found she had died of a heart attack, caused by a blood clot in the lung.

Solicitor Mr Coughlin told the inquest: "There were gross and basic failures of care for Mrs Davies - a very vulnerable patient."

The inquest heard a serious incident review by the foundation trust found a "lack of adherence to trust protocols" and record keeping.

The inquest is expected to conclude on Tuesday.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites