Suffolk Police at 50: Five high-profile cases

Fifty years ago three local police forces joined to form Suffolk Constabulary. Since then the force has dealt with a number of high-profile cases.

Here are five of them:

Jason Mitchell killings, 1994

Image copyright Suffolk Police
Image caption Jason Mitchell killed his father and put his dismembered body in a loft

The Bramford killings by Jason Mitchell sent shock waves through not just the village community but much further afield.

Just before Christmas 1994, Mitchell strangled pensioners Arthur and Shirley Williams (below).

A few days later police went to Mitchell's father's house and found Mitchell sitting in the dark, having killed his dad and dismembered his body before putting it in the loft.

Image copyright Suffolk Police

It subsequently emerged that Mitchell was a schizophrenic with a long history of mental disturbance. He had been released into the community after a psychiatrist had described him as "a pleasant young man, with no real malice in him".

After being arrested, Mitchell was alleged to have sung the Black song Wonderful Life in his police cell.

Mitchell pleaded guilty to manslaughter due to diminished responsibility in relation to all three killings. He was detained for life.

Tattingstone suitcases body

Image copyright EADT

Although the murder took place a few months before Suffolk Police formed, the death of 17-year-old Bernard Oliver was a big case for the new force to get to grips with - and it remains unsolved.

Bernard's dissected body was found in suitcases in a field in Tattingstone on 16 January 1967, 10 days after his family had reported him missing.

Image copyright Suffolk Police

A major murder investigation was instigated and with the assistance of the Metropolitan Police inquiries were conducted both in Suffolk and Muswell Hill, London, where Mr Oliver had lived.

No-one was ever charged over the inquiry but two doctors, both now dead, were prime suspects.

Mr Oliver's brother, Tony, said detectives had always been hindered by the fact a murder scene was never found.

Suffolk murders, 2006

Image copyright Getty Images
Image caption Steve Wright worked as a forklift truck driver and killed five women in the Ipswich area

The murders of five women who had been working as prostitutes in Ipswich dominated conversation in Suffolk, and in several media outlets around the world, in December 2006.

The bodies of Gemma Adams, Tania Nicol, Anneli Alderton, Paula Clennell and Annette Nicholls were found over a 10-day period, prompting a sense of fear which had been unknown to the residents of Ipswich.

Image caption About 30 women worked in Ipswich's red light district, close to the football club, at the time of the murders

Local man Steve Wright was found guilty of the murders in 2008 and sentenced to life in prison.

Police launched a crackdown on on-street prostitution following the murders, and claimed to have eradicated it from the town.

A stage musical and film, both called London Road, were made about the aftermath.

'Fast Eddie' goes on the run, 1993

Image caption Eddie Maher pictured in 2012 and 1993

Eddie Maher was working as a cable engineer in Missouri in 2012 when his past, and the police, finally caught up with him.

Nineteen years earlier, Securicor worker Maher dropped his colleague off at a bank in Felixstowe and then drove away in a van containing £1.2m.

The details of how he got to the US remain a mystery, but Maher spent almost two decades on the run, using false identities and changing his appearance to evade capture.

Image copyright Suffolk police

He spent big but eventually spiralled into debt and was declared bankrupt in 2010. It was his former daughter-in-law, Jessica King, who alerted police to Maher's true identity and he was sent back to the UK to face the music.

Maher, who had been nicknamed 'Fast Eddie' by parts of the press, was jailed for five years in 2013 but was released in January 2015.

Diane Jones murder

Image copyright Suffolk Police
Image caption Suffolk Police has yet to solve the case of Diane Jones

The body of Diane Jones, 35, from Coggeshall, Essex, was found in a copse adjacent to the A1093 in Martlesham, Suffolk, on 22 October 1983, three months after she disappeared from her home.

Mrs Jones, the wife of a doctor, was found to have a fractured skull.

Later the East Anglian Daily Times revealed she was two months pregnant at the time of her disappearance.

Image copyright Suffolk Police

Despite the best efforts of Suffolk Police, Mrs Jones's killer has not been brought to justice.

It's one of several 'cold cases' which police say they are still hoping to solve.

Related Topics