Headley pool party shooting 'frightening chaos'

Summerlyn Farquharson and Jason White Image copyright Press Association
Image caption Summerlyn Farquharson and Jason White (reggae artist Braintear Spookie) organised the pool party

A pool party where a man was shot dead erupted in "frightening chaos" as the 400-strong crowd fled, one of its organisers has said.

Summerlyn Farquharson told how the crowd got "unruly" and said people started running as shots were heard.

A 34-year-old man was found with a gunshot wound at the house in Headley, Surrey on Monday. Two suspects remain in custody.

Ms Farquharson denied the event was a "sex party".

What is it like living near a party house?

She said she had rented the house, next to the village church, in the past four years and had hosted similar parties there twice before with no trouble.

More than 400 people were at the party when it turned to "chaos".

Ms Farquharson, who uses the title The Female Boss Krissy, said: "Before the shooting everything was nice and then it was chaos.

"At about two o'clock the crowd was getting unruly, I am not sure if it was the alcohol but by the time I got to the security I heard a gunshot, I saw people running, people were trying to get into the house.

"People weren't allowed in the house as it was a pool party but they were banging on the door."

Image copyright Instagram
Image caption The advert for the party was posted on the Instagram account of reggae dancehall artist Braintear Spookie
Image copyright Summerlyn Farquharson
Image caption Ms Farquharson said people were not allowed in the house during the party

Adverts posted on Instagram listed her as an organiser along with Jamaican reggae artist Braintear Spookie, real name Jason White.

She added: "I opened the door to let Spookie in, people were shouting to call the police, saying someone was shot, so I called the police and locked us in.

"We don't know who was shot, we don't know why it happened, we have no clue, we don't know who it is."

At the scene, BBC South East reporter Bob Dale

There is still a strong police presence here. Roads are closed by police cars and vans and all traffic has been diverted.

It seems strange to see so many police officers in a quiet, affluent small village. It also appears to be extremely popular with cyclists.

Although it's only five minutes from the M25, the house is surrounded by farmland and as I drove into Headley I passed the Mid Surrey Pony Club.

It is fair to say that villagers are stunned by what has been happening on their doorsteps.

Broken glass and rubbish were left strewn around the property, where forensic investigators were seen sifting through the debris.

The dead man is believed to have been one of the party-goers and has not yet been named by police.

Surrey Police said it was still holding two people from London - a 38 year-old man on suspicion of murder, and a 30-year-old woman on suspicion of assisting an offender.

A spokeswoman for the force said: "Following this tragic incident, Surrey Police will be looking closely into many aspects of the event that was held."

She said one area to be looked at would be a temporary event notice for the party, which was reviewed by the local authority and the police and authorised on 23 May.

Weapon not found

Mole Valley has confirmed it issued the notice for the party after it received no objections from police or environmental heath.

The event was licensed from 14:00 on Sunday to 04:00 on Monday and covered sale of alcohol, provision of regulated entertainment and provision of late-night refreshment.

Police have said searches are still under way for the weapon.

The man who died has not yet been identified, and a post-mortem examination is still to take place.

A 36-year-old woman who was shot in the leg remains in a serious condition in hospital, police said.

Image caption The party was held at a house with an outside pool
Image copyright Eddie Mitchell
Image caption Forensic investigators were at the house sifting through debris from the party

Some residents in Headley said the local council should never have granted a licence for the party.

Sarah Connolly, 70, who lives near the village church, said: "I can't see why they gave them a licence to serve drinks until four o'clock in the morning.

"[It is] absolutely outrageous in a small property like that. We are not talking about a mansion, detached out in the fields.

"It's a bungalow, opposite a house with a family, next door to a pub, just a few yards from the vicarage."

David Preedy, chairman of Headley Parish Council, told BBC Surrey: "The licensing officer advised me they are not obliged or even allowed to consult local groups before issuing a temporary event notice.

"There are real issues about how any community can prevent this sort of inappropriate event taking place in its midst."

Mole Valley District Council said no objections were raised by Surrey Police or its own environmental health officers.

Image caption Part of Headley was still cordoned off on Tuesday afternoon
Image caption Surrey police said its investigation at Headley was still on-going on Tuesday

Resident Anne Legeun de Lacroix said she realised later that she heard the gunshot.

"It's only after talking to other people," she said. "I heard a bang and we have a clay pigeon shoot up the back here, so we're used to hearing gunfire if you like, but it did sound like a retort from a gun."

'Peaceful but sad'

After police cordons went up in the village, Headley was quiet, she added.

"There's hardly any traffic. Normally at this time of day we have cars coming through. It's peaceful for us, I suppose, but it's also very sad.

"Also it's covered with litter which obviously may or may not be needed for forensic purposes."

She said it had been devastating for villagers to hear someone had died.

"One really does not want to hear that somebody's been hurt in any way and be killed. That is very, very devastating," she said.

The Cock Inn, which is next door to the house, remained closed on Tuesday.

Lisa Balliache, a spokeswoman for Red Mist Leisure, which owns the pub, said: "Following an incident in the early hours of Monday morning at a house party backing on to the pub, the area around the house (including the pub) is still closed for the rest of the day, but we are hoping The Cock Inn will reopen tomorrow.

"We are helping police with their enquiries."

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites