Sussex

Arrests over Crawley front door shooting

Crime scene
Image caption The victim slammed the door on his attacker before the shots were fired

Three men have been arrested over the shooting of a man through his front door in Sussex.

The 29-year-old was treated for minor leg injuries after two shots were fired through the closed front door of his home in Park Way, Crawley, on Tuesday.

The men, all in their 20s, were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder at about 2300 BST on Wednesday.

On Wednesday police confirmed the injured man had already been the victim of an arson attack a month earlier.

Officers said CCTV captured the gunman walking up to the front door wielding a shotgun at 2255 BST on Tuesday.

Detectives are investigating links with the arson attack on 5 July.

'Slammed door'

In that incident, the victim's window was smashed and accelerant poured into the property, causing damage to the living room.

Police said it was "possible" the two incidents are linked but it was too early to confirm at this stage.

A force spokesman said the victim did not know the gunman, but they believe it was a targeted attack.

She said: "The victim had heard a tap on the door and gone to answer it.

"When he opened the door he said he saw a man he did not recognise pointing a shotgun at him. He acted instinctively and quickly slammed the door shut.

"His quick reaction certainly helped save his life as the man fired two shots into the lower part of the door."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites