A family of five in West Sussex had a lucky escape after their dishwasher caught fire in the middle of the night.
The two adults, three children and dog managed to climb on to a flat roof at their home in Roffey, near Horsham, after being woken by a smoke alarm.
Neighbours then helped them escape from the two-storey property using ladders.
West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said the family's precautions prevented the fire, which started at about 0350 BST, from being disastrous.
Three fire crews from Horsham and Crawley, including firefighters wearing breathing apparatus, prevented the flames spreading from the kitchen.
A spokesman for West Sussex Fire Service said: The family escaped due to smoke alarms being fitted in the ground and first floors, which detected the fire at an early stage, and because the ground floor doors were shut.
"The fire plan put in place by the parents of closing doors, having smoke alarms and a planned escape route prevented this incident from being disastrous."