Man dies after dog rescue attempt off Brighton beach

Air ambulance
Image caption The man was taken to hospital by air ambulance but died three hours later

A man has died after he and his 13-year-old daughter went into rough seas in Brighton to rescue their two dogs.

Kevin Reynolds, 52, was out walking his two Jack Russells when he lost them off Brighton seafront at around 1215 BST.

He and his daughter - who was not physically harmed - were rescued and taken to the Royal Sussex Hospital by air ambulance, but Mr Reynolds died three hours later, Sussex Police said.

The sea was "still rough from an overnight gale", the coastguard said.

Mr Reynolds and his daughter followed the dogs into the sea off the groyne near Palace Pier.

The girl was quickly recovered from the water, but her father was located about 98ft (30m) offshore, near the pier.

He died three hours after arriving at hospital in a critical condition.

The coastguard said one of the Jack Russell dogs returned to the beach. The other has not been seen since.

A Sussex Police spokeswoman said at least two members of the public helped pull the girl to safety.

'Difficult to reach'

She said the teenager, who was medically examined at hospital, was distressed but not physically injured.

Ch Insp Helen West said: "This is a truly tragic event and my sympathies go to the family.

"Members of the public bravely entered the sea to try to rescue the father and daughter.

"The man was difficult to reach and eventually pulled from the water by the lifeboat."

Colin Griffiths, the duty watch manager at Solent Coastguard, advised people not to attempt to rescue their dogs from the sea.

He said: "Dogs will generally return to their owners after a swim and it is not worth the risk for individuals to go into seas of temperatures generally at about 4 to 5 degrees Celsius this time of year.

"Hypothermia and cold shock will set in very, very quickly."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites