Man arrested in Eastbourne murder investigation
A 48-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a man died from knife injuries in East Sussex.
Police were called to Ceylon Place, in Eastbourne, at 2100 GMT on Monday to reports a 39-year-old man had been injured. He died shortly after.
The arrested man, who was also injured in the incident, was taken to Eastbourne District General Hospital and later released into police custody.
Police cordons were in place around the area as investigations continued.
'Confrontation in flat'
Blue tarpaulin covered the basement area of the three-storey building, near the town centre.
Det Ch Insp Nick May said the incident happened in a flat in Ceylon Place.
"The man did then end up on the pavement in front of the address where paramedics struggled to save him without success," he said.
He said officers were struggling to confirm the identity of the dead man and police were trying to trace his next of kin.
It was too early to suggest a motive for the killing, but forensic and house-to-house inquiries were continuing, he added.
He said the injuries suffered by the man currently under arrest were not knife wounds.
The victim and the arrested man are believed to have known each other but neither is understood to have been living at the property.
Police are not looking for anyone else in connection with the death. A weapon has been recovered.
Officers also said a post-mortem examination would be carried out later.
Neighbour Mamadu Bakde, 32, saw emergency teams trying to save the victim.
"He was lying on the pavement and paramedics were trying to resuscitate him," he said. "There was another man who was injured. He had facial injuries."
Eastbourne Liberal Democrat MP Stephen Lloyd said: "Thankfully these sort of appalling crimes are extremely rare in Eastbourne and I'm sure the police are doing everything necessary to complete their inquiries."