Sussex

Lancing man arrested as firearms seized

A 50-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of possessing banned firearms after rifles, pistols and automatic weapons were seized from a flat.

The military rifles and other guns, dating from 1860 to 1945, were removed from the property in Lancing, West Sussex, on Friday, police said.

Army ordnance experts and firearms officers helped to make the ammunition and weapons safe.

Police said the man had been bailed until 16 February.

Secure storage

A Sussex Police spokesman said there was no risk to the public at any time but a few brass casings for shells, which experts felt could contain small amounts of explosive, were removed as a precaution.

He said the weapons, which are being stored in secure police premises, would be examined by firearms experts.

The inquiry was not being linked to terrorism and would be focusing on whether the weapons had been deactivated.

The spokesman said the man would not need a licence if the weapons were found to have been safely deactivated.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites