Pensioner dies in house fire in Bognor Regis

Scene of the fire in Winston Crescent, Bognor Regis
Image caption The fire had already gone out by the time the fire service was called

A woman has died in a fire in a house with no working smoke alarm, West Sussex Fire and Rescue said.

A visitor to the home of the 82-year-old discovered her body in the smoke-filled house in Winston Crescent, Bognor Regis at 07:15 GMT.

The fire and rescue service said there was damage to a chair and curtains but the fire had already gone out.

A spokesman said the possibility that it had been started by a cigarette "had not been ruled out".

The pensioner's death is not being treated as suspicious and an investigation is underway.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites