Sussex

Storrington 'fire play' children burnt by exploding aerosol

Two children had to be treated in hospital for burns after an aerosol can they put on to a fire exploded.

A 12-year-old boy suffered "extensive burns" to 40% of his body and his sister, aged 14, received "superficial" injuries to her hands and knees.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said the pair were hurt when they put a hairspray can on to the embers of a fire in their garden in Storrington.

Both children were taken to Worthing Hospital for treatment on Monday.

"The children were using paper to try and relight the fire pit," West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service investigation officer Mark Hayter said.

"They then did some fire play by placing a hairspray aerosol on the embers. The canister heated to a point that it exploded."

He warned youngsters to a avoid playing with fire, saying it could cause "serious injuries or fire being spread to property".

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites