College evacuated after chemical spillage in Newcastle
Part of Newcastle University had to be evacuated because of a chemical spillage.
Fire crews were called to St Mary's College, which is an accommodation block for more than 1,000 students.
No injuries were reported and most of the students were away from the site during the summer break.
A fire service spokesman said it was thought a quantity of chlorine dioxide was released following a malfunction of water treatment equipment.
Group manager Paul Anderson, of Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service, added: "Our main priority is to investigate the extent of the spillage and ensure the area is safe."
St Mary's College has 366 three, four, five, and six-bedroom flats, together with sports facilities and a large communal hall.