Tributes to Northallerton man who died on night out

Image caption,
Duncan Gibbon was last seen with friends at the Fever Bar on the Quayside on Saturday night

Tributes have been paid to a 21-year-old student from Northallerton found dead after a night out in Newcastle.

Duncan Gibbon, 21, was last seen with friends at the Fever Bar on the Quayside on Saturday night.

The Edinburgh University's student body was found near the High Level Bridge on the Quayside on Wednesday, after an extensive search in wintry conditions.

His parents Kate and Simon described him as a "wonderful" son and thanked emergency crews for their efforts.

A post-mortem examination will be carried out to try to establish the cause of death.

A statement from Mr and Mrs Gibbon and their other son Jake, 19, said: "All of Duncan's family want to express our heartfelt gratitude to all the services, friends and family.

"They have been working tirelessly throughout the last three very difficult days in the challenging weather conditions to try to locate our lovely boy.

'Brought a smile'

"This includes the search and rescue teams and Northumbria Police, including their dog section, marine unit, search teams, air support, media liaison and all the individual officers who were out looking for him.

"Duncan was a wonderful son, brother and friend who brought a smile to everybody he met. Every member of his family will miss him greatly.

"Everybody should remember Duncan with a smile for the lovely, wonderful man he was."

Det Insp Gary Stephenson of Northumbria Police also thanked everyone involved in the search for Mr Gibbon .

He said: "We deployed significant resources, with specialist support including search and rescue, in order to find Duncan.

"Unfortunately, this incident has resulted in the loss of life and we are continuing to investigate the circumstances to establish a cause of death."

More on this story

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.