Tyne & Wear

Firework thrown through window lands on child's bed

A firework thrown through the window of a house in Gateshead landed on a child's bed and burned through the mattress.

Police said the child was not in bed when the banger firework landed inside the property at Ravenscourt Place, Bensham, at 21:00 GMT on Tuesday.

A group of youths was seen in the area at the time and officers are keen to speak to them.

A spokesman for Northumbria Police said it was "fortunate" no-one was injured.

Chf Insp Mark Warcup, of Gateshead area command, said: "Incidents like this may be seen as just a prank, but this is far from the case for the victims.

"Fortunately no-one was injured, but it could so easily have been much more serious.

"An ignited firework could easily start a fire inside a house or property, causing even more damage or serious injury."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites