Wiltshire

Birthday girl hurt in Melksham barbecue gas explosion

A 13-year-old girl suffered serious burns when a gas cylinder exploded during her birthday barbecue in Wiltshire.

A man in his 40s, thought to be her uncle, was also seriously injured in Melksham on Friday evening. He is thought to have been serving the food.

A Great Western Ambulance Service spokesman said it received a 999 call soon after 1930 BST.

He said the girl suffered burns to her chest, hands and face.

It is thought she was the first in line to be served with food because it was her birthday, the spokesman said.

Metal bracelet

He said the casualties were taken to the Royal United Hospital in Bath.

Steve Arnold, the service's officer at the scene, said: "Although neither patient is thought to have life-threatening injuries, they have certainly both suffered serious burns.

"In particular, the young girl was wearing a metal bracelet which became very hot and so inflicted a deep burn on her wrist."

He said no one else at the party was injured.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites