Inquest opens into road crash triple deaths at Rowde

People laying flowers at the crash site
Image caption Floral tributes have been left at the crash scene near Rowdeford School

An inquest into the deaths of three Chippenham teenagers in a car crash on New Year's Eve has opened.

Frankie Bowyer, 16, Jamie Walker, 17, and George Forester, also 17, died after the vehicle they were travelling in hit a tree at Rowde, near Devizes.

The hearing, in Salisbury, was adjourned after opening statements.

The families of Frankie Bowyer and George Forester paid tributes to their sons.

'Popular friend'

In released statements, George's parents Jacqui and Steve, his sister Sara and brothers, Adam, Joe and Jack, said he was "A wonderful son, brother and friend.

"He was a very happy young man, very caring and loved his family and wide circle of friends.

"He was always smiling, singing and even occasionally breaking into a spontaneous dance. He was really enjoying this stage of his life."

Image caption Sport science student Jamie Walker's family paid tribute to their 'charming' son

George, of Tudor Close, died on New Year's Day of the injuries he sustained in the crash.

Earlier, Frankie Bowyer's family had paid tribute to their "dearly beloved boy".

"Frankie lived life to the full," they said.

"A popular friend to all that knew him, he will be sorely missed by his family and friends.

"His mother and father, three sisters, young niece, as well as his extended family, will all miss him dreadfully," their statement added.

Frankie, of St Teresa's Drive, was airlifted to Swindon's Great Western Hospital after the accident, but later died.

Jamie Walker's family have also paid tribute to their "charming son" whose personality had won him many friends.

George Forester's 20-year-old brother Jack, the driver of the Renault Clio the young men were travelling in, was treated for shock after the accident but later released from hospital.

Jack Williamson, 17, also suffered serious injuries in the incident, but is now out of intensive care.

The inquest will reopen at a date yet to be determined.

More on this story