School lab explosion injures Wiltshire teenager

An A-level chemistry student has been taken to hospital after an explosion at a school laboratory in Wiltshire.

Emergency crews were called to reports of an explosion at Hardenhuish Academy in Chippenham at around 12:30 GMT.

The 18-year-old pupil was taken to the Great Western Hospital suffering from extensive burns to his hands and face, a Wiltshire Ambulance spokesman said.

His injuries are not thought to be life changing and no-one else was hurt in the incident.

'Fumes built up'

Head teacher, Jan Hatherell, said the incident had involved the student working on an "individual chemistry experiment".

"He was carrying it out in a fume cupboard and what seems to have happened is when the experiment was at an end - instead of disposing of it in the correct manner - he went to another fume cupboard and disposed of it in the organic waste bottle," she said.

"And so when it went into the organic waste, it reacted with it and fumes built up in the organic waste bottle which then exploded."

A police spokesman said the laboratory had been cordoned off, the area made safe and the incident reported to the Health and Safety Executive.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites