'Monster' sex assault sergeant major Timothy Jones jailed for party attack

A "monster" sergeant major has been jailed for two-and-a-half years for sexually assaulting a soldier following a drink-fuelled party.

Former Warrant Officer Timothy Jones, 40, was found guilty last month after a trial at Bulford Military Court Centre.

Assistant Judge Advocate General Alan Large said Jones' sentence had been reduced by six months because of his good service record.

The court heard the victim, who cannot be named, was left considering suicide.

Jones had been with several soldiers from 9 Theatre Logistic Regiment at a barbecue at Buckley Barracks, Hullavington, Wiltshire, in May 2013.

'They respected you'

The victim was attacked later that evening in her own bedroom after falling asleep.

Sentencing Jones, the judge said the married father-of-two had decided to "try his luck" as the "sexual temperature" and level of alcohol consumed rose during the evening.

"At the time of the offence you were the squadron sergeant major with an important role in discipline and setting of standards and junior soldiers looked up to you and respected you and your rank," he added.

"You were an important part of their lives and they were entitled to have you treat them with respect and to keep them safe."

Lt Col David Phillips, prosecuting, said the offence was a breach of trust by Jones, who was of previous good character and had served in Northern Ireland, Rwanda and Yugoslavia.

He had also received long service and good conduct medals, plus medals for service in Iraq and Afghanistan.

'Old dinosaur'

In a statement read to the court, the victim said she had been on anti-depressants since the attack, and experienced anxiety and low confidence.

"When the incident initially happened I thought about killing myself because I couldn't cope - I was angry, upset, depressed, I couldn't deal with it," it said.

Jonathan Simpson, defending, said that Jones, who he described as an "old dinosaur", had begun to admit his guilt, having denied the offence throughout the trial.

"He wants to confront the monster that he was that night so it doesn't happen again," he added.

Mr Simpson said that Jones' wife, a charity fundraiser, was standing by him but their son faced problems at school because of his father's offence.

Jones joined the Army in October 1990 and left in April.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites