Funeral held for Castlerock 'gas death' teenager

  • Published

The funeral of one of the teenagers who died after a suspected carbon monoxide leak in Castlerock has taken place.

A service for 18-year-old Neil McFerran was held at Newtownabbey Methodist Mission in Rathcoole.

Aaron Davidson, 18, also died in the holiday flat on Tuesday. Their friend, Matthew Gaw, survived.

It is understood Neil was awaiting his A/S-level results and Aaron was awaiting his A-level results.

During the service, Neil was described as a fun-loving and thoughtful young person whose life was cut short by a tragic accident.

His older brother Stephen paid a moving tribute.

"The truth is, Neil was so perfect and if I was half the person he was, I would be very proud of myself and have realised how I looked up to him," he said.

Image caption,
Neil McFerran was due to get his exam results in a few weeks

"He brought people together with his love, always smiling, giving hugs, teaching us the value of youth and how important it it to stay young at heart."

The families of Aaron Davidson and Matthew Gaw were among the mourners.

Mermbers of the Fire and Rescue Service also attended.

Aaron Davidson's funeral will take place on Monday.

Health and Safety inspectors believe a gas appliance in the apartment was the potential source of the leak.

The Public Health Agency is urging people to be vigilant for the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.