Northern Ireland

Carbon monoxide suspected in Irvinestown death

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a "strong line of inquiry" into the death of a man at a restaurant in Irvinestown, County Fermanagh, police have said.

The victim, who is from Malaysia and in his early 20s, was discovered by a member of staff at the building in Main Street at 1430 GMT on Wednesday.

Police Inspector Roy Robinson said it appeared the man had been overcome by fumes from a generator in a food store.

He said there was only one door and no windows in the store.

It is understood the restaurant had been without power since Monday and a petrol generator was being used to power freezers.

"There was a lot of fumes within that building when the emergency services and I were there.

"You could smell a very strong smell of fumes, there was no ventilation in the store apart from a door at the entrance," Inspector Robinson said.

"I think the generator had been moved into the store - it had been outside it earlier on.

"It was one of those portable generators and it was taken within the store and with no ventilation and it running, it was going to create a lot of fumes."

He said an examination of the store and the electricity generator were being carried out and police were awaiting a post mortem examination of the victim.

Inspector Robinson said they were still trying to get in contact with the man's family.

"Our thoughts and prayers are just with the family, because this young gentleman has come all the way to work here in Irvinestown and sadly has lost his life as a result of this tragic accident," he said.

The restaurant opened just three months ago.

Two weeks ago, Irvinestown couple Killian and Pauline Scallon were fatally poisoned by carbon monoxide in their home.

The toxic gas also killed two teenagers in August.

Neil McFerran and Aaron Davidson died at a holiday apartment in Castlerock.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites