Northern Ireland

Post mortem exam to be carried out on Fermanagh victim

A post mortem examination will be carried out later on a man thought to have died from carbon monoxide poisoning at a restaurant in Fermanagh.

The victim, who died in Irvinestown, was in his 20s and from Malaysia. His name has still not been released.

Police believe he was overcome by fumes from a generator in a food store at the restaurant.

They said carbon monoxide poisoning was a "strong line of inquiry" into the death.

Police Inspector Roy Robinson said there was only one door and no windows in the food store.

It is understood the restaurant had been without power since Monday and a petrol generator was being used to power freezers.

"There was a lot of fumes within that building when the emergency services and I were there.

"You could smell a very strong smell of fumes, there was no ventilation in the store apart from a door at the entrance," Inspector Robinson said.

"I think the generator had been moved into the store - it had been outside it earlier on.

"It was one of those portable generators and it was taken within the store and with no ventilation and it running, it was going to create a lot of fumes."

Two weeks ago, a well-known couple in Irvinestown, Killian and Pauline Scallon, were fatally poisoned by carbon monoxide in their home.

The toxic gas also killed two teenagers in August.

Neil McFerran and Aaron Davidson died at a holiday apartment in Castlerock.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites