Belfast restaurant is fined over hygiene offences
An Indian restaurant in Belfast has been fined £1,750 for food hygiene offences.
Mizanur Rahman, who runs the Bengal Brasserie, Ormeau Road, was also ordered to pay £69 costs in relation to six separate hygiene offences.
They were detected on 10 February 2010 and 16 April 2010.
Inspectors from Belfast City Council told Belfast Magistrates' Court on Tuesday that food hygiene at the restaurant is now satisfactory.
The prosecution was taken by the council following a routine inspection of the premises on 10 February, 2010.
They found cigarette butts in the bases of some staff lockers and cooked meat being stored in a fridge that was not working properly.
Floors were dirty and the kitchen wall could not be properly cleaned due to exposed cement plaster.
Food was not protected from contamination and poor hygiene practices were observed with some food preparation being carried out in an unsuitable area.
Officers also noticed cloths and chefs' aprons being dried over dirty railings in the emergency exit stairwell.