Northern Ireland

Family treated after fire at their Portrush home

A mother and father and their two children are recovering in hospital after a fire at their home in Portrush, County Antrim.

The Fire and Rescue Service was called to the house in Glentaise Park shortly before 2200 GMT on Wednesday night.

When fire crews arrived, the family was already outside.

Fire officer Charlie McCauley said the family needed immediate medical attention after inhaling smoke.

"There were two adults, who we believe were the parents of two children under 10, who were suffering badly," he said.

"One of the children, we believe may have been asthmatic and was in a very very stressed condition, having taken in quite a lot of smoke and fire crews worked with them at the scene, until the paramedics arrived."