Northern Ireland

Derry postal worker loses hair in 'practical joke'

A postal worker from Londonderry has suffered burns and lost clumps of his hair in what is understood to have been a practical joke gone wrong.

He discovered the hair loss when he took off a motorbike helmet he had taken from the staff locker room at Royal Mail's delivery office on Great James Street on Wednesday afternoon.

It is believed that an acidic substance had been put in the helmet.

Royal Mail have launched an investigation.

The postal worker had returned from his rounds at about 1600 GMT when he put on the helmet.

He did not discover anything wrong until he went home and took it off.

The matter has been reported to the police but it is understood that they have dropped their investigation as it is now being dealt with internally by Royal Mail.

A source said that workers at the delivery office are "very annoyed and angry" about what happened.