Northern Ireland

Men in court after Apprentice Boys' parade trouble in Derry

Two men have appeared in court charged in connection with public order offences following an Apprentice Boys parade in the city on Saturday.

Violence broke out in Fahan Street in the Bogside after the main parade had passed through the city.

Gerard Anthony Kelly, 35, from Corrody Road in the Waterside and John Patrick Duffy, 36, from Mulroy Gardens in the city, face a number of charges.

Both men were released on bail.

A police officer told District Judge Barney McElhome in the city's magistrates court that Mr Kelly, a father-of-five was seen running behind a group of youths in the Bogside and lighting a petrol bomb.

He later ran into a nearby house where he was arrested.

The officer said she believed the defendant was instructing the youths in how to throw petrol bombs and said if released on bail she believed he would commit further offences.

Petrol bomb

Applying for bail, defence solicitor Paddy Mac Demott said when interviewed by police, the defendant said far from encouraging the youths to riot he was telling them to go away and stop rioting.

Mr Mac Dermott confirmed that the defendant was seen picking up a petrol bomb and throwing it at a wall.

Mr Mac Dermott said his client had been drinking heavily at the time and had just left licensed premises when the events took place.

He said his client's presence in the Bogside was "opportunistic" and said he was not a member of any illegal organisation nor had he any interest in parades.

Judge McElhome released Mr Kelly on his own bail of £1,000 together with one surety of £500 to appear in court again on September 12th.

He also set a number of bail conditions.

Also appearing in Londonderry Magistrates Court was John Patrick Duffy, an unemployed taxi driver.


He is charged with throwing a petrol bomb at a police land rover, riotous behaviour at Fahan Street and with possessing a petrol bomb in suspicious circumstances.

A police officer told the court the defendant was seen stumbling and spitting on the ground and being verbally abusive to police officers.

Later on Saturday evening when the police were under attack from petrol bombers in Fahan Street, the defendant was seen throwing a petrol bomb which struck the windscreen of a police land rover.

He was arrested a short time later in the living room of a house in Fahan Street.

During his interviews he told police officers that he had consumed between 12-15 pints of stout.

He said he lifted a petrol bomb from a crate containing other devices but he was so drunk he did not know who lit the petrol bomb.

The police officer said he believed the defendant was part of an organised riot and fully intended to take part in the trouble.

Defence solicitor Kevin Casey said his client was remorseful, shameful and deeply embarrassed and it was a case of a very, very drunk man being in the wrong place on the wrong day.

Mr Duffy was released on bail of £1000.