Northern Ireland

Policeman accused of CCTV seizure attempt ends legal challenge

Belfast High Court
Image caption The High Court in Belfast was told the policeman had ended his legal challenge

A policeman accused of trying to seize CCTV footage in a bid to stop his ex-partner knowing he had sent her texts has ended his legal challenge to facing disciplinary proceedings.

The officer, who has more than 20 years service, allegedly posed as part of a team investigating her complaint.

This was to obtain the hard drive from a mobile phone shop in Portadown.

He is facing a charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice in connection with the alleged behaviour.

The officer cannot be identified. His legal team had been seeking to judicially review the Chief Constable's failure to delay an internal disciplinary hearing until after the criminal case was finished.

But a judge at the High Court in Belfast was told on Thursday that the challenge was not going ahead because legal aid for the officer has been revoked.

Mr Justice Treacy directed that his judicial review application should be dismissed.

He also discharged an emergency, temporary injunction which has until now put the disciplinary proceedings on hold.

At a previous hearing it was set out how the officer, who is currently suspended on full pay, claimed his actions were "a moment of madness".

Statements from him referred to how text messages sent to his ex-partner were trying to "get the truth out of her".

He was reported to have said: "I suppose I was playing mind games and I'm deeply ashamed of that."

It is alleged that after she reported the incident to police he went to the mobile phone store in the Meadows Shopping Centre where the SIM card was purchased and posed as part of the investigation team.

According to the case against him, he tried to take CCTV recordings and a hard drive from the shop and the centre.

In interviews, the officer was alleged to have stated that his motivation was to stop his ex-partner getting hurt.