Northern Ireland

Search continues off Cork coast for missing trawlermen

the 'Bonhomme'
Image caption The boat sank on Sunday morning

Divers will prioritise the area in the vicinity of a trawler which sank off the west Cork coast, the Irish coastguard has said.

Three fisherman are still missing after the Tit Bonhomme sank in heavy seas early on Sunday morning.

One man was rescued from the water on the day of the sinking.

The bodies of Egyptian crew member Attia Shaban and student Kevin Kershaw, 21, were recovered on Thursday.

The body of 26-year-old Mr Shaban was identified by one of his friends on the pier at Union Hall.

Moved recently

Skipper Michael Hayes, 52, and Egyptians Wael Mohammed and Saied Ali Eldin are still missing.

Mr Shaban had been in Ireland for two years and had recently moved to Skibbereen from Union Hall.

He had no other family in Ireland and was from Borg Meghezel, which is in Kafr El Sheikh region of Egypt.

On Wednesday, the Garda and naval dive teams made what search co-ordinators from the Irish Coastguard described as ''significant progress'' during a series of dives around the vessel.

The trawler appears to be wedged in a narrow inlet or cove and the wash and backwash on rocks on either side of it are said to be hampering the dive teams.

The Coastguard says this is one element of a comprehensive search which includes teams on the shore, trawlers outside and inside Glandore Harbour, helicopters from Shannon and Waterford and many smaller boats and kayaks checking dozens of narrow, isolated coves.

More on this story