Northern Ireland

Man is rescued from Cromwell Road flat fire

The fire happened at a flat on Cromwell Road
Image caption The fire happened at a flat on Cromwell Road

A man has been rescued from a fire in a first floor flat in south Belfast.

The fire service was alerted to the blaze on the Cromwell Road at about 04:00 BST on Sunday.

Three fire crews were involved in the rescue, which saw the man brought to safety from a window ledge by firefighters using a ladder.

Smoke alarms had alerted the man to the blaze. No-one else was in the flat at the time.

Fire station commander Michael Roberts said the man had a fortunate escape.

"He had made his way out onto a window ledge where he was rescued by fire and rescue service personnel using a ladder," Mr Roberts said.

"The fire itself was accidental there was nothing of a suspicious nature.

"However, had there not been a working smoke alarm within the property we could have been looking at a totally different set of circumstances."